Updated: April 27, 2011
How does the Wilderness Society achieve its goals?
Do not be fooled into thinking that governments save the environment. Almost without exception, they will be dragged, kicking and screaming, to the right decision, by a concerned, determined community.
The Wilderness Society has a long history of encouraging and empowering the community to have a say in the future protection of Australia’s natural environment.
We undertake a range of peaceful activities to protect our wild places. These include:
- Work with scientists to determine what nature needs to survive for the long term.
- Understand environmental impacts of activities such as logging, clearing, mining, fishing, and the nuclear industry.
- Study the industries which rely on using natural resources and identify ways to avoid or reduce their impact .
- Document problems and solutions through reports, photos and videos.
Raising community awareness
- Prepare materials to explain issues easily.
- Talk to people on the streets, at stalls, markets, community events.
- Create activities and events to publicise the issues such as marches and rallies, street theatre, parades and festivals, art exhibitions and media stunts.
Work with the media
- Influence the community and decision makers through the media.
- Issue news releases, launch reports, provide media comment, hold press conferences, run community radio shows, make films.
- Brief journalists.
- Run ads on television, radio and newspapers.
Use government processes and the legal system
- Prepare submissions and provide advice to governments.
- Promote new and improved laws to help protect the environment.
- Use the courts if companies or governments are not complying with the laws.
Lobby politicians and other decision makers
- Visit and speak with members of parliament.
- Encourage people to write, phone or visit through letter writing stalls, postcards, phone ins, actions outside offices of members of parliament.
- Attend shareholder meetings of relevant companies.
- Meet with unions involved in industries of interest.
- Build alliances with like-minded organisations and industries.
For more information, please contact:
The Wilderness Society Inc