The Wilderness Society SA has a great track record of achieving real conservation outcomes for our state. This includes forcing three Oil Giants out of our pristine Great Australian Bight, protecting over 1.8 million hectares of land under the Wilderness Protection Act and 44% of our coastal waters in South Australia's new marine parks network.
Protecting wilderness is what we do best
If you share our passion for protecting, promoting and restoring wilderness and natural processes, then you've come to the right place. Our SA Team values your support.
Two iconic areas we are currently working to protect include the Great Australian Bight (including Kangaroo Island) and the Lake Eyre Basin (including the Munga-Thirri Simpson Desert, Goyder Lagoon and the Coongie Lakes Ramsar site).
We must stop the expansion of the climate wrecking fossil fuel industry into these areas.
Adelaide Campaign Centre
111 Franklin Street Adelaide SA 5000
Read our constitution
Campaign success stories:
- Forced three Oil Giants—BP, Chevron and Equinor—to abandon their plans to deep-sea drill for oil in the pristine seas of our Great Australian Bight.
- Successfully campaigned for the Nullarbor to be declared a Wilderness Protection Area—approx. 900,000ha.
- Secured Marine Park Sanctuary Zones—44% of SA's coastal waters included in new Marine Park Network with approx. 363,400 square hectares fully protected Sanctuary Zones.
- Protected Arkaroola Mountains and the Mawson Plateau from mining in the heart of the Wilderness Sanctuary.
- Successfully campaigned for Investigator Group and the Nuyts Archipelago Island group declared wilderness protection areas—that's 17 offshore islands.
- Stopped Wellington Weir on the Murray River, which would have cut Ramsar-listed Lower Lakes Wetlands from the River.
- Successfully campaigned for Yellabinna to be declared a Wilderness Protection Area—approx 500,000ha.
- Signed on as a Project Partner for the WildEyre collaborative conservation program.
- In total, protected over 1.8 million hectares under the Wilderness Protection Act.