Film: Pilliga Rising
If gas came for your community, would you rise?
This 38 minute documentary provides a heartwarming insight into the community resistance to coal seam gas in the Pilliga forest and across North West NSW.
Don’t miss this moving tale of four characters who are worlds apart but united by their love of the Pilliga and determination to protect it from coal seam gas. A loving father, a young Indigenous multimedia artist, an experienced citizen scientist and a businesswoman-potter who has made the Pilliga her home all rise up to protect water, people, country and community from a proposed coal seam gasfield in the Pilliga forest.
Right now, an oil and gas corporation plans to drill 850 wells through the Great Artesian Basin—one of the largest underground freshwater reservoirs in the world, which recharges in the Pilliga. This is the story of the Pilliga told by the people rising to defend it.
"Pilliga Rising is the mesmerising, heartbreaking, exhilarating tale of a community unified in defence of land and livelihood. See it, and see it soon.”
– Elizabeth Farrelly PhD, Columnist, Sydney Morning Herald
“Pilliga Rising provides a deeply penetrating insight into one of the great tragedies of our time: the devastation wrought by coal seam gas production.”
– David Donovan, Managing Editor, Independent Australia
At the screening events listed below, guest speakers will provide updates as the pressure grows to stop the Narrabri gas project.
- Narrabri: Sunday 24 February, 4:30–6:30pm, Narrabri Crossing Theatre—World premiere!
- Coonamble: Monday 25 February, 5:30–7:30pm, Coonamble Bowling Club
- Coonabarabran: Tuesday 26 February, 6:30–8:30pm, Flix in the Stix
- Gilgandra: Wednesday 27 February, 6:00pm-8:00pm, Gilgandra Services Club
- Dubbo: Thursday 28 February, Wesley Hall–Carrington Avenue & Church Street
- Lismore: Thursday 28 February, Lismore, VENUE TBC
- Newtown: Monday 11 March, 6:30–8:30pm, Dendy Newtown
- Bronte: Tuesday 12 March, 6:00–8:00pm, Bronte Surf Life Saving Club
- Newcastle: Wednesday 13 March, 6:00–8:00pm, Croatian Wickham Sports Club
Host your own screening!
Following this first round of screenings, we invite supportive individuals and groups to host their own—wherever you may be! Host one at your local community centre, university or in your living room. Register your interest to host a Pilliga Rising screening here.