Jobs - 23 August 2022
Position: Finance & Administration Officer
The Wilderness Society (South Australia)
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced person to join our Adelaide team and support our high-profile campaigns for the protection of wilderness and nature in South Australia.
The core purpose of the position is to effectively deliver the organisation’s finance and administration role.
WHO WE ARE
The Wilderness Society is an Australia-wide, independent environmental advocacy organisation supported by around 40,000 engaged supporters. Since 1976, the Society has stood at the forefront of the country's most historic campaigns, including campaigns to protect the Franklin River, Tasmanian forests, James Price Point in the Kimberley, and most recently the Great Australian Bight.
The Wilderness Society comprises a alliance of self-governing state and regional offices. The Wilderness Society of South Australia (TWSSA) is one of those and was established in 1983.
OUR PURPOSE AND GOALS
Our Core Purpose is "to protect, promote and restore wilderness and natural processes in South Australia”, and also to contribute to national initiatives to achieve this objective across Australia.
In South Australia, we continue to build on our record of securing the highest level of protection for large intact wilderness areas across SA. In the past this has included the Nullarbor Plain, the Offshore Islands of the Great Australian Bight, together with Marine Parks and sanctuary zones in South Australian coastal waters.
We continue to highlight the risks to wilderness areas from fossil fuel extraction both in the Great Australian Bight and in SA’s desert regions, and to the Coorong/Lower Lakes from unsustainable water policies and practices throughout the Murray-Darling Basin.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Finance and Administration role is part of our small and dedicated Adelaide team focused on the long-term protection, promotion and restoration of wilderness in South Australia. The role plays a crucial part in ensuring the effective operation our Campaign Centre in Adelaide and support of its campaign staff and governance structure.
All Wilderness Society employees are employed under a Multi-Enterprise Agreement (MEA 2022). This position is classified at Level 4 under the MEA.
The position is initially being offered as a part-time, fixed term contract for 12 months, at up to 0.4 FTE (2 days per week). The position will be based at our city office with flexibility to work a mutually agreed number of hours from home.
- Day-to-day office administration tasks
- Liaison with the public, volunteers, Board and stakeholders
- Assisting central financial processing by preparing invoices, submitting payment requests, reconciling expenses, financial record keeping
- The support of key governance functions, including:
- Organising and minuting Board meetings every two months
- Organising the annual Audit, coordinating the AGM processes and the production of the Annual Report
- Monitoring and reporting on responsible expenditure of grant funds
- Ensuring compliance with State and Federal government statutory and regulatory requirements
- Organising of functions
- Records management
- Supporting and adhering to the organisation’s vision and strategic direction and adhering to all OH&S, HR and workplace policies and procedures
- Any other duties as reasonably required.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Qualifications and/or experience in a finance and administration position
- Database management
- Substantial organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise demands, meet deadlines and to work under pressure
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a range of people
- Strong digital literacy and proficiency in systems including digital conferencing tools
- Skills in proof reading, editing and general document formation and formatting
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and interdependently as part of an agile and collaborative team
- A commitment to the Wilderness Society’s values.
- General knowledge of environment issues in South Australia and a proven commitment to, and understanding of, the not-for-profit culture.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Finance & Administration Officer enquiry.
To submit your application, please email a cover letter (maximum 2 pages) that addresses the position requirements, and a curriculum vitae to email@example.com
Please note that applicants must have the right to live and work in Australia to be considered for the role.